Monday, December 10, 2012

Stand Up!

Maybe you should read this standing up.

I think I’ve posted more than once about being a mover. I think better when I move. I don’t like to sit. I have a lot of energy, and I’ll admit I can be a bit ADD when I have to sit. When I was in elementary school, I had little rhythmic games I played with my fingers to keep me from spinning out of my little desk chair like an overwound toy. And, at the start of each recess, I went on a mad tear through every play structure on the playground and then sprinted around the entire school to vent all of my pent-up energy before I could settle down and play (like normal children) with my friends.

Now, as you know, I’m back in school. And guess how I study? Standing up. I lay my papers out on the table and counter, and when I study, I stand at the counter, shifting my weight back and forth between my legs, or else I walk around. When I’m at the computer, I sometimes use a chair, but my computer most frequently sits on the kitchen counter, and I stand in front of it.. Earlier today, I read a whole book, and I read it while I was standing. And even now, as I type this, I am standing at the kitchen counter. This is just the way it is with me. I’m not much of a sitter.

I read once about the rising popularity of treadmill desks for office workers. Because research reveals a lot of problems with being sedentary, people were looking for ways to be a bit more active while actually working. So, these office employees bought special treadmills where they could spread their work out in front of them while they walked very slowly.

I’m not arguing that I stand and therefore you should, too. But maybe standing is good for us! I ran across the following graphic earlier today. I thought it was interesting, and it made me glad that I stand up so much. I think it speaks for itself:

Sitting Is Killing You
Learn about infographics software.

5 comments:

  1. I am doing Weight Watcher's online program and someone shared that at their WW meeting that week a medical doctor said:

    "Sitting is the new smoking."

    I have never forgotten that. Thanks for posting this, I sit too much.

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I so get this! I'm 40ish and back in school as well and have found my best studying gets done while walking a paved 8 mile trail (no tripping or traffic!).

    Jennifer Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I am really interested in one thing, could you be so kind and please tell us the place where you spent your childhood?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never very comfortable sitting down.

    ReplyDelete