Sunday, September 25, 2011

Second Sunday Post--Miso Soup. . .

This one's for you, Kate.

The other night I was hungry but I didn't have a lot of time to cook, so I made miso soup. Miso soup can be as basic as heating 1 c. of water, pouring it into a mug, and stirring in 1 t. of miso until it is completely blended into the water. The broth is simply drunk from the mug and is a common, comforting, and nourishing way of enjoying miso soup. And there are all kinds of ways you can go from there to make the soup more complex. I'm sure recipes abound online.

There are several colors of miso, starting with white, which is the sweetest and mellowest type, ranging to dark brown, which has a much stronger taste. I've used them all. Currently I have white miso in my fridge. I actually make two miso spreads (one with tahini and one with almond butter) for toast or crackers, too.

When using miso, it's important not to stir it into broth or soup that is very hot because miso is full of beneficial live cultures (I'm sure you know this) that are killed by heat.

The miso soup I made recently was really basic. I heated what was probably about 3 c. of water, dropped in a Rapunzel brand natural vegetable broth cube and stirred to dissolve it. Then I added a big handful or two of chopped cabbage, a sliced carrot, and a sliced 1/2-onion and cooked the vegetables until they were tender. I removed this from the heat and squirted in some lemon juice and maybe some nama shoyu. Then, when the soup had cooled just a bit, I stirred in about 3 barely heaping teaspoons of miso until it was dissolved. That's it. And it was delicious.

In the journal where I keep my made-up recipes, I wrote down instructions for a similar, but slightly more complex, miso soup that I made about 2 years ago. It was the recipe for the exact soup that is pictured in the photo above (taken from my Gathering Up My Comforts blog). That recipe is below. If you can't read my writing after clicking on the photo, just ask, and I am certainly quite willing to type it out! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Susan! I look forward to trying this now that the weather is perfect for soups. And forgive my prying question a few days back; I was thinking "out loud" and not really filtering. Happens a lot. :)
    Best wishes for your busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kate, and *please* don't apologize for asking a question that was not prying at all! Most people would answer that question readily, and I'm not sure why I'm not wanting to make what I'm doing "public" (if you can call this blog public--haha!). It has nothing to do with you, Kate. In fact, if we were talking privately, I'd happily chat with you about it all! I'll probably gradually get more comfortable with talking about it here. . . Thank you for the good wishes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting... Looking forward to your next entry on living life with margins. To a new year of life in school and YES an old dog can learn néw tricks. My 76 year old mother still works a 40 hour work week and has learned all kinds of new that goes with her job.

    ReplyDelete