Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Quiet Tuesday. . .

This morning, I stepped outside early. I gathered the last few apples that had fallen to the ground and picked the last two on the tree. Now the apples are done, and I have a few on hand for making something good. What shall it be?

After I collecting the apples, I washed off the two (!) new-to-me Weber charcoal grills some garage-saling friends picked up for me. I love that they got me a small one for when I'm grilling alone and a large one for when family and friends eat with me. I'm thankful that thoughtful friends take pains to be kind. Kindness requires thought, care, and effort!

I made coffee, and this morning I noticed that the teakettle has a cute little face. (Black on black does not make for a clear photo! Maybe if you click on the picture, you can see it better.)

I gathered the large stack of books that had collected near my bed and put them back on the shelves. Right now I'm needing things to be simpler. Books are good. They teach, inspire, console, and stretch me, but sometimes I need a reading sabbatical. Sometimes I just need to focus on my Bible. This is one of those times.

This morning while I worked, I listened to Arvo Part--a composer who does not disturb my quiet spirit.

"I have discovered that it is enough when a single note is
beautifully played. This one note, or a silent beat,
or a moment of silence, comforts me."

"Silence is the pause in me when I am near to God."


~Arvo Part

I am not a grand, complex, orchestrated piece of music--a symphony or an opera. I am a simple, unnoticed person. A single note in a cacophonous world. I want to step out of the maelstrom and into the quiet. I want my note to be played beautifully by God. I want to stop and kneel, repentant and surrendered, and let silence enhance the music because God is near.

It's a beautiful day with pleasant temperatures and a nice breeze, and I have things to do both inside and outside the house, so off I go! Wishing you a beautiful day, wherever you are.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Tuesday, Susan...thank you so much for the lovely comment on my blog. How funny...my next post sometime this week involves a nice new/used stack of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    The connections are really rather uncanny sometimes. First, we, too, were immersed in track last week. I watched that race with Matt and what a great, poised race he ran. Second, Arvo Part! At our son, Thomas's wedding, another of our sons, Andrew and a friend, played Spiegel im Spiegel on cello and piano. It was sooooo lovely. I need to listen to some more of his music.

    Enjoy your apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathleen! I really enjoy your pretty blog. I'm glad you've made yourself known here this summer, and it's nice to have the connection to Elspeth with you. I'll look for that book post--fun! :-)

    Beth, it is funny, isn't it? I don't know very many people at all, outside of Eugene, who love track and field (or who understand it), but Bob (Laura's husband. . . of Morningside Family, you know!) watches it and knows what he's talking about. Matt did run such a poised, intelligent, patient race. He's a courageous, smart tactical runner. :-) And Arvo Part--Spiegel im Spiegel is on the CD Alina, which is one of my all-time favorites. In fact, it's playing right now! :-) Beautiful music. Is your son the cellist or pianist (I think I should know this. . .)? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to echo your appreciation of Arvo Part and thank you for sharing the quotation. I know very little about him except that my brother gave a CD to my mom years ago who in turn gave it to me because it made her feel so sad. I get something beyond sadness out of it; it's just right for a certain kind of day - and for kids' bedtimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do see the face on your tea-kettle. It's particularly humorous! And it looks like your grill had a baby!

    I particularly remember two backyard apple tree pies that my grandmother made when I was six. She lovingly transformed my offering of apples. So, naturally, I vote for pies.

    I like your Arvo Part analogy. And I know De Pacem, but Kanon Pokajanen is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gary! Roman says thank you for the "Happy Birthday"! Mom- I love that you have two Weber grills! How awesome! I see a family bbq in the near future...

    ReplyDelete